Former Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan was arrested by the court and removed from one of the lawsuits brought against him.
According to an AFP report citing Pakistani police, he was arrested in one of dozens of cases against former Prime Minister Imran Khan. Local Pakistani media and Khan’s deputy also confirmed the arrest. It is not yet clear if Khan is being held in the Islamabad High Court or elsewhere.
Claiming that a high-ranking Pakistani army officer would kill him, Khan was cautioned by the army yesterday for “baseless accusations” and a warrant for his arrest arrived exactly one day later.
The official Islamabad Police Twitter account used the phrase “Imran Khan was arrested in the Kadir Trust (bribery) case”, referring to the bribery case.
Imran Khan lost a vote of no confidence last April. During the voting period, Khan claimed that the US was trying to overthrow him because of its friendly relations with Russia and China.
Following Khan’s announcement, thousands of Pakistanis took to the streets to protest the decision. After a vote of confidence, Khan was replaced by Shahbaz Sharif, the main opposition leader of the day and the president of the Pakistan Muslim League.
Khan, who has often called for early elections after losing his post, was shot dead in November. Khan suffered minor leg injuries during the attack.
- Top 10 games with English subtitles or dubbing support
- Viewers voted! The 7 Greatest Couples in Movie History
- What causes hair fractures? Here are 11 things that cause fractures
- 32 things that marked the 2010s
- Export Declaration from Minister Shimshek
- Amnesty for 22,000 demonstrators in Iran
- Restoration disasters in Turkey: 10 bad examples
- Ukraine may join the alliance in the long term
- Here are 8 products you can buy with confidence
- 6 spring festivals in different parts of Turkey