The US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) stated in February 2026 that there is a risk of DW 2023 colliding with Earth.
Scientists have discovered a new asteroid that exists, albeit with a low risk of impact with Earth. In February 2026, it was announced that the name of the asteroid, the danger of which is mentioned to the Earth, is 2023 DW.
NASA’s Planetary Defense Coordinating Office has discovered an asteroid (meteorite) that is likely to hit Earth in 2046. It has been found that the chance of an asteroid named “2023 DW” colliding with our planet is 1 in 625. According to NASA, the risk of this collision may seem quite small, but it is above average compared to the risks posed by other asteroids.
DW 2023 was announced to come very close to Earth on February 14, 2046, and there is a risk of collision as a result.
However, not much is known about 2023 DW at the moment, and if scientists can observe the asteroid more clearly and make more accurate measurements, the risk level can also be determined to be lower.
FEATURES OF THE ASTEROID WITH THE DANGER OF COLLISION ON THE EARTH
Astronomers first observed asteroid 2023 DW on February 27 and found it to be 50 meters in diameter, roughly the size of an Olympic swimming pool.
It is stated that the impact of 2023 DW, relatively small compared to other asteroids, in the event of a collision will not be as large as that of a 12-kilometer meteorite that crashed into the Earth 66 million years ago and caused the extinction of the dinosaurs. However, it can still do a lot of damage if it hits a large or crowded city.
In 2013, a meteorite exploded over the Russian city of Chelyabinsk less than half the DW of 2023, injuring 1,500 people and damaging dozens of buildings.
Meanwhile, based on simulation studies, it appears that the 2023 DW is likely to fall in the southwest US or Indonesia.
- Death penalty for high school students for watching dramas in North Korea
- 6 storage box models that will add color to your home with their decoration
- 10 things you should know before starting the game
- Affordable olive oils that should be on your table
- 30 best tweets of the week that will make you enjoy reading
- US Secretary of State met with Kuleba
- What to expect from CES 2023?
- Critical deal between Iran and Saudi Arabia
- World Health Organization statement
- Death toll rises in Syria