Ukraine has been attracting the attention of the whole world for many years for many reasons, both good and bad. This is a truly mesmerizing place with a rich history, diverse cultures and magnificent natural landscapes. From UNESCO World Heritage Sites to traditional cuisine, Ukraine is much more than a country at war. Let’s take a look at 30 facts about this beautiful country together.
1. Ukraine is home to seven UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
2. Ukrainian women traditionally wear wedding rings on their right hand, not on their left.
3. Pysanka eggs or Ukrainian Easter eggs symbolize hope and solidarity in the country. This tradition dates back to pre-Christian times.
4. As of January 2023, the Ukrainian passport has become the 36th strongest passport in the world in terms of freedom of movement. They can travel to over 144 countries without a visa!
5. Also known as the “Rocket City”, Dnipro is known for being home to two of the country’s leading spacecraft manufacturers.
6. The official national dish of Ukraine is Borsch, a red beet and beef soup.
7. Another popular Ukrainian dish is Vareniki.
8. Ukraine is the world’s largest producer of sunflower seeds and oil
9. Often called the breadbasket of Europe because of the fertile soil.
10. Vyshyvanka is the national costume of Ukraine.
11. Weaving on handmade looms is quite common throughout the country.
12. Ukrainian trembita is the longest musical instrument in the world
13. Arsenalnaya metro station in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine, is the deepest metro station in the world. Exactly 106 m underground
14. Although Ukrainian is the official language, about 20 different languages are spoken in the country.
15. It has a total area of 603,700 square kilometers and is the largest country in Europe.
16. There are more than 2,500 architectural and historical monuments in the city of Lviv.
17. A kerosene lamp was invented in Lvov.
18. The Odessa Opera House is included in the Forbes list as one of the most unusual attractions in Europe.
19. The word “Ukraine” comes from the Old Slavonic word meaning “border region”.
20. The blue color on the Ukrainian flag represents the sky, and yellow – wheat and earth.
21. The official currency of Ukraine is the Ukrainian hryvnia. The word hryvnia means a sign that was worn around the back of the neck during the period of Kievan Rus.
22. The deadliest nuclear accident happened in 1986 in Chernobyl, Ukraine. Experts believe that it will take at least 3,000 years for the region to become safe.
23. The largest freshwater lake in Ukraine is Lake Yalpukh, located near Odessa.
24. Seven great rivers of Ukraine flow into the Black Sea.
25. Ukraine is home to the famous Tunnel of Love, a scenic railway surrounded by majestic trees.
26. The natural life of the country is very diverse: about 350 species of birds, more than 200 species of fish and more than 100 species of mammals.
27. The official national animal of Ukraine is the nightingale.
28. The kerosene lamp was invented in Lvov in 1853 by two pharmacists, Jan Tsekh and Ignaty Lukasevich.
29. The country separated from the Soviet Union on August 24, 1991. Since then, August 24 has been celebrated as the Independence Day of Ukraine.
30. The Russian invasion of Ukraine began on 24 February 2022 and was described by President Putin as a “special military operation”. The invasion was the largest conventional military offensive in Europe since World War II.
We have come to the end of our article. We wish you a good day!
You may be interested in:
8 facts about Asian countries that will blow your mind
Some interesting facts about life in Europe that you may not have heard of
20 facts about Antarctica you may not have heard of
6 things people do differently in Finland, voted the happiest country in the world
- Call from the World Health Organization in the USA
- Iran: we are ready to help Turkey
- 9 amazing movie tips for those who are wondering what to watch this weekend
- An earthquake of magnitude 7.4 occurred in Kahramanmarash
- Zelensky announced
- 5 things that make attractive people lonely
- Biden gave the order! US shot down a UFO?
- The 7 Best Canned Chicken Ages for Our Paw Friends
- Best TV Shows of 2022
- Russia’s response to America